Thursday, January 15, 2009

CEIMB- Beef with Rosemary and Chocolate and Late TWD


I chose this week's CEIMB recipe - Beef with Rosemary and chocolate.  I have been in TWD for about 6 months and in CEIMB for a month.  This was by far the biggest disaster I've had in the kitchen.  First, I could not find a 2 lb tenderloin.   I went to three grocery stores close to my house and the smallest tenderloin I found was 5 lbs ($56).  So, I bought two nine oz filets ($16).

Second, I planned to make this Sunday night so I could take my time.  However, I ended up having to work on Sunday until around 7.  We usually eat at 6.  So, I was very rushed.  I have never made beef if the oven and I was not surprised to learn that this is not my favorite way to cook meat.  I way overcooked my steak- it had no pink at all.  Brandon's was medium, but since it ended up taking TWO AND A HALF hours for the sauce to reduce, he ate his steak without the sauce.  So, my pitiful picture is of one bite of my very well done filet with sauce.  The sauce was really really good, but it took an incredibly long amount of time.  

TWD was savory corn muffins.  I really liked them and will definitely make them again.  I'm having trouble with the pictures and will try again later.  

8 comments:

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Aw, Amanda, that all sounds so stressful! Glad you liked the sauce at least. A lot of times the guy at the butcher counter will take a package of tenderloin and cut it down for you. And the corn muffins were a hit, thank goodness.
Nancy

Jennifer said...

I'm sorry your recipe pick turned into such a disaster. I too used filets and I thought the recipe turned out great. The sauce was wonderful! Thanks for picking a great recipe (this is definitely one I probably would not have cooked otherwise!)

Peggy said...

So sorry Amanda, but it was a great choice for us to try! My tenderloin was good and very tasty. Thanks for making a great pick for us! And those corn muffins were good too.

Cathy said...

I'm sorry, Amanda, I didn't mean to laugh at your picture, but I couldn't help it. I think you picked a GREAT recipe -- you really should try this again over grilled steaks. My dad loves well done meat, so I bet he would love your tenderloin! Thanks for this pick -- we REALLY enjoyed it!

Mary Ann said...

Sorry it didn't turn out exactly how you had planned!

What's for Supper? said...

Amanda...your choice was fantastic. I think my favorite so far. Thanks.

I hope that you try this again and it won't be so disasterous for you. It really was a great meal.

Joanne said...

As n.o.e said, the butcher will cut a tenderloin down for you which is what our grocery store butcher did. We only need 1lb because my hubby is the meat eater. Our recipe experience with your pick was fun. My hubby loved it and thanks you.
Next time, will be easier. Have heart.

Anonymous said...

Awesome pick! We enjoyed it. Nothing I cook ever turns out as planned!